9.22.2005

Friends?

I remembered the other things I was going to talk about. The first is something that's been occuring over the past couple days. As many of you can see, I have a profile on My Space. Now, for some odd reason, several people of whom I have never heard before have been inviting me to be friends. I'm a little perplexed by this. What exactly makes them think I would make a good friend? Because we both happen to like one or two of the same bands? (To be quite honest, I can't stand a lot of the fans of the music I like. I often say that Tool was very prescient in naming themselves, understanding that many of the people who would listen to them would be aptly attired when wearing shirts that have the word "Tool" written on them in big letters.) They don't even know me. For all they know, I could be a complete asshole. (And I'm sure there are some people who think I am.)

Basically, I decided a while ago that in order to be added to my friends list, the person must be someone that I have at least met in person. While this may be defeating the intended purpose of an online networking database, something just feels dishonest to me about saying someone you hardly know is your friend. I make allowances for the fact that having an "acquaintance list" just wouldn't sound right, but when you've maybe only exchanged a couple messages with someone, are they even an acquaintance? They'd be even less so if you haven't even made any sort of contact with the person when you invite them. I suspect that many of the people who do this are basically just trying to collect people. They invite anyone and everyone so they can pad their list. Is it to make themselves seem more important? I have no idea.

All I'm really trying to say here is that, if you've never had the slightest contact with me, you can be damn sure your friend request will be denied. Just remember, it's nothing personal. Your friend request doesn't even seem personal, so how can my denial?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home