3.14.2006

I am a Suppressive Person

I just read that Isaac Hayes has asked to be released from his South Park contract, citing the series's religious discrimination. Apparently, he feels that it has tipped over into bigotry. Strangely enough, he didn't seem to mind back when they did their episode about the Catholic church child abuse scandal or when they did their scathing critique of Mormonism. No, instead, it comes soon after their lampooning of Scientology, a "religion" of which Hayes is a follower. (The Mormons are probably relieved that there is a group out there with beliefs even whackier than their own.) I suppose Hayes was considered a "Potential Trouble Source" because he was associating with the "Suppressive Persons" who write and produce South Park. What an efficient cult they are.

For more info on the Church of Scientology, I recommend reading this Rolling Stone article. It is quite in-depth and completely fascinating. What I can't get over is how people get suckered into this thing, anyway. I mean, the man who invented it made his living by making stuff up. Even the whole backstory sounds like a shitty sci-fi novel. It boggles the mind that people can be so gullible and don't see through this hogwash. I suppose some of you might think I'm behaving like a bigot, and in a way, you are correct. I am prejudiced against all kinds of rampant stupidity and the people who engage in it.

1 Comments:

At 3/16/2006 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog made me laugh out loud, seriously. I fully agree with you. I think that if people did a just a little research into how religions get started, and I'm talking about mainstream ones also, we might have a more kinder, spiritual society. I wish that believers would look into their religious institutions beyond the rhetoric. I'd love to see how many fundamentalists would be left in this world.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home