9.25.2006

How in God's name...?

Well, I just read something over at Ain't It Cool News that has me filled with a strange mix of anticipation and dread. Apparently, someone has made a film of Jack Ketchum's novel The Girl Next Door. (This can be confirmed on the Internet Movie Database.) To those of you who are unaware, Girl... is the most disturbing book I have ever read in my entire life. After finishing it, I decided I didn't want to be alone in the profound trauma that it had wrought upon me, and I passed it to my friend/then-roommate Mike. I'm not sure he's ever forgiven me for it.

The story centers on a young boy in the 1950s who witnesses firsthand the brutal torture of a teenage girl by her mentally unbalanced godmother. Given the extreme nature of the events in the book, I was quite certain it was completely unfilmable. I suppose I have just been proven wrong. It remains to be seen just how graphically it will be depicted, but it sounds at this point that most of it will be implied and not shown. I still can't imagine it will be anything approaching pleasant to watch, and yet I find myself interested in seeing it. I mean, I always find myself wanting to see the films based on books I've read, but viewing this one just seems like it would be an exercise in masochism. I don't know how to feel about it.

2 Comments:

At 10/27/2006 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've forgiven you for it. I'm actually kind of glad I read the book. It gives me a measuring stick for disturbing literature. I probably won't see the movie, though.

I can guess that it'll probably have its own section at Video Spectrum. Right next to the "Women In Prison" section of flats. It'll be the "Redheaded Stepchild Abuse" section.

 
At 11/10/2006 6:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, I read on Wikipedia that the book is based on true events. Pretty scary.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home